Lawmakers on both sides of the aisle are taking Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin to task over the lack of transparency surrounding his unexplained health emergency that prompted a hospital stay.
The defense secretary, 70, has been at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center for a week, first being transported to the hospital via ambulance on Jan. 1, and he was immediately put in the intensive care unit. Pentagon spokesman Maj. Gen. Patrick Ryder told reporters on Monday that Austin is no longer in the ICU but still in the hospital.
Ryder said he found out that Austin had been taken out of the ICU earlier Monday, though he could not confirm when exactly he was moved.
Austin had an undisclosed elective medical procedure on Dec. 22 and returned home the next day. He temporarily transferred some of his authority as secretary of defense