Woman accused of killing son she tried to kill when he was a baby

A woman who was convicted of trying to drown her baby son in 2008 has now been arrested on suspicion of his murder, more than a decade later.

Police found the boy, now 12, and his 7-year-old brother unresponsive in a full irrigation canal near Porterville, south of San Francisco, California on Monday.

A post-mortem revealed Jackson Telnas died of drowning, and officials said the younger boy is in hospital in critical condition but didn’t say what his injuries were.

Sherri Renee Telnas, 45, first tried to kill Jackson in a river in 2008 in the state of Montana when he was 10 months old.

She was soaking wet as she carried the baby into a hospital saying she had tried to drown him because “bad thoughts or voices” told her to, sheriff Mike Boone said in a statement.

She pleaded no contest to two counts of felony criminal endangerment and was sentenced in 2009 to the custody of Montana health officials for 10 years because of a history of mental illness, Mr Boone said.

Jackson was living with his father at the time.

More from US

She spent less than a year at the psychiatric hospital, said Ellie Brown, who is married to the boys’ uncle.

Telnas got custody of Jackson in 2010 as part of her divorce, court records showed.

The judge found that she was doing well in her treatment with her psychiatrist, was holding down a job and her relationship with her son “appears to be very loving.”

The psychiatrist and judge decided they were no longer concerned about Telnas’ ability to parent.

The judge also noted that the boy’s father, Jacob Telnas, did not fight testimony that he was unemployed, living with friends, smoked marijuana and drank regularly.

She later reunited with her ex-husband, and their second son was born in 2012, Ms Brown said.

The couple lived together in California for a time, and Telnas had been alone with the boys for about a year, she said.

Telnas was released from Montana health officials’ oversight in 2016, according to public records.

The family had been in the Porterville area less than a year and authorities didn’t have contact with them before Saturday, when a 911 caller told officials Telnas was acting strangely and had taken the boys to a cornfield near their home, according to Ashley Schwarm, a spokeswoman with the Tulare County Sheriff’s Office.

Source: SKY NEWS

Please follow and like us: